Jul 27, 2013

The Fly Slayers (Students Round #2)

This was the team name for my second batch of students.  They decided they needed a team name when our rival class paraded into our room one morning chanting a cheer they'd made up about "The Kingdom of the Fork" - complete with a giant fork they had crafted.  So we named ourselves the Fly Slayers in honor of the giant biting horse flies that populate the camp.  We returned the visit the next day, with fly swatters in hand instead of silverware.

Of course we spent most of our time studying, not playing:



This student gave himself the English name Gru, from Despicable Me:


Beth, a faithful helper and encourager in my classroom:


These are the lyrics for a Mongolian song about friendship, which my students helped me learn.  In return I taught them one of my favorite American songs, the Cowboy Lullaby ("Be Still, Little Doggies" - the cowboys used to sing to their cattle at night on the prairies).  They learned it fast and would hum it to themselves while they were writing in their journals.


Last day of class, decked out in American sunglasses:


Friends:


I'll miss them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment