Feb 14, 2013

Pancake Day

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday.  And the day before was Shrove Tuesday... or, as they call it here, Pancake Day.

I had never heard of Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day, only Mardi Gras, which I have never understood very well.  But I had no trouble figuring out how to celebrate Pancake Day.  Our church small group had a big pancake dinner.  We were told to Bring Your Own Pancakes, pre-made, which was new to me also, but I managed to transport my stack of pancakes on a bike without damaging them, even though they got cold by the time I arrived.

British pancakes are different.  The first time we made them (from a mix), we were concerned that they kept turning out flat (literally).  Eventually we realized that  British pancakes are supposed to be flat and squishy and dense, more like crepes:



And, like most things, they come in small quantities.  One of the mixes in the store had a serving size of 2.  Only 2 pancakes?  There's a reason we get groceries several times a week.

I decided I like Pancake Day.  Mom and Peter, let's celebrate this next year!

1 comment: