Feb 28, 2013

St. Nicholas and GPA's

Every Monday night at 7:10 I ride my bike down to Keble College for choir practice.  We sing in this room:


Our concert is this coming Monday, and we're performing the work of St. Nicholas by Benjamin Britten, a twentieth-century British composer.



I never knew that St. Nicholas had such an interesting life:  We sing about swimming in bathtubs, pickled children, jeering sailors, sacks of corn, blinding lightning...

Choir practice is also a good time to meet British folk.  Last Monday during break I was chatting with a girl about the British college system versus the American system.  I learned that they don't really have grades.  I asked, "Do you even know what a GPA is?"  "Well, sort of," she said tentatively, "mostly just from watching films."  (I guess American movies are useful for many reasons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment