Mar 28, 2013

Day 3: songs in the dungeon

Caerphilly Castle:  Construction began on this castle in 1268.


Outside the moat:


Inside the moat:



These two interesting items were in the gift shop:  Mint Humbugs and Ginger Beer.



Castle Coch (a small daytime getaway for a noble and his family):


My favorite memory of this castle was the dungeon.  Marie and I got lost from the rest of the group and went wandering on our own.  We discovered the windowless dungeon underground - a damp, basement-smelling stone cell.  We started singing Edelweiss in harmony.  The acoustics were beautiful!  We kept singing:  It Is Well With My Soul, As the Deer, Amazing Grace.  Something about singing beautiful songs in a former dungeon made it ironic and special.








2 comments:

  1. Caerphilly Castle, the second-largest castle in Britain, and only three pictures?

    Nice pictures though. Did you survive Day 4? Or is it coming later? :)

    I love you sis. Take care and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Singing in the dungeon in lovely harmony enjoying the marvelous acoustics. If those walls could talk, I'm sure they would note this day as a highlight in their existence. I wonder the acoustics in the Philippian jail were equally good for Paul and Silas?

    I don't get to your blog as often I would like, but I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your experiences there and seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete