May 7, 2013

Mongolia (just like England, right?)

Last December -- a couple weeks before heading off to the wilds of England -- I started thinking ahead to this summer:  about spending part of it in the wilds of Mongolia.

This is the site I'll likely be teaching at this summer, which I explain in my letter below.  (no!  I am not turning my blog into a fundraiser.  But I wanted to share my plans here because I am excited about them.)  Mongolia will be a rather different experience from Oxford.



Dear family and friends,

Last year when I began working with Lim from South Korea, I didn’t realize it would become more than a tutoring job.  The first time I met with Lim I was impressed, not just by her high-energy attitude toward improving her English, but also by her outgoing personality and her genuine desire to get to know me.  Soon we started getting together outside of tutoring.  She showed me how to make Korean egg rolls and soup, and we talked about South Korea and families and God and American movies.  What started as a job turned into a strong and real friendship.

Friendships with students like Lim have formed some of my most enriching college experiences.  These experiences have made me seriously consider teaching in an international setting after I complete my education degree.  Actually, that’s the reason I’m writing this letter:  I want to share with you an opportunity I have to teach English in Mongolia this summer.

I’ll be spending five weeks (June 20-July 30) at a beautiful site in rural Mongolia, working with high school students in a summer-camp setting.  (Click here to learn more about the organization.)  The program is both academic and relational.  I’ll be doing the same kinds of activities I did with Lim – direct teaching and coaching in English skills, as well as simply getting to know my students and sharing cultural and life experiences with them.

When I sat down to start this letter, I asked myself again, “Why exactly do I want to go Mongolia?”  I began mulling over memories with my international friends, and wrote this in my journal:

“I remember talking with Kim after a tutoring session about redemption and forgiveness, and her statement, ‘It makes me want to go home and tell my cousins because they do not know this.’  I remember June and Jung and Lee around our kitchen table, singing and making Korean pancakes.  And I remember Easter Sunday with Lim and Sunny at Dianna’s, and Sunny confiding to Dianna and me, ‘We call you – the angels.’

“This is why I want to go to Mongolia – to touch students’ lives and be touched.  And it starts with teaching English.”

I’ve never imagined myself writing this kind of letter, and it’s a humbling and soul-searching process.  I’ve prayed and sought advice and thought hard about why I want to go.  It’s for the students first, but to be honest, it’s for me too.  I’ll learn as much as I teach.  I’ll be pushed out of my comfort zone into an entirely new setting.  I’m hoping that serving students in Mongolia this summer will help me decide if I should pursue international teaching long-term.

I’d love to share more about the program with you in person and hear your feedback.  The entire five weeks costs a total of $3,800, an amount that the program requests its participants to raise through support from family and friends.  [Click here for more information.]  Would you be willing to help support me in preparing to go to Mongolia?

Thank you, both for reading this letter, and for your interest and encouragement.  I would be grateful for your financial support, and more importantly, I covet your prayers. I’m looking forward to making contact with you within the next few weeks.  I’m excited already for what this summer holds!

Blessings,

Caroline Eckstrom
crlnckst@dordt.edu

[Friends, thank you for not reproducing or displaying this letter elsewhere.]

No comments:

Post a Comment