May 4, 2013

Wales Day 4: behind the waterfall

[continued: spring break trip]

Here's a sampling of little nothings from my journal that morning:

"The sun is warming my knees and the cedar trees are rocking outside in the wind.  I’m in the spare bedroom next to mine with the door shut.  Outside is a squat stone garden shed of some sort along the stone wall, and beyond the garden are the small fields with their dark hedgerows.  The horizon is near, a hill, dotted with trees. Clouds drift to the right above it and birds float on the wind.

"The ground is frosty with a dusting of snow.  I’m trying to decide whether or not to go on the hike to the waterfall.  Should I just stay here to enjoy this house one last day before we leave?"

Well, I did go -- to Brecon Beacons National Park...


...and found this cool waterfall to watch while we lunched:


...and then followed the Welsh/English signs...


and found another cool waterfall:


This one we walked behind.  Yep, all the way behind, without getting (significantly) wet.  Except for one girl who leaned over and washed her hair in it, after first playing lilting tunes on her Irish penny whistle behind it.    Sadly, I don't have pictures of us behind it because, well, we were all behind it so we couldn't take pictures of ourselves behind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment