Sep 10, 2013

Being Touristy: Part II

Yesterday I taught my students about these:

The Magna Carta


The U.S. Constitution


The U.S. Bill of Rights



I've seen each of these.  When I did, they weren't all that interesting.  I was usually more intrigued by the food in the cafe.

But I know why they were worth seeing - not for my sake, but for my kids'.  Now, when my students ask questions like -- "Is the real thing still around?" or "What kind of paper did they use?" -- I can say, "Yes -- and this is what it looks like..."

This is why it is worth it to "go see the real thing" (i.e., be a tourist - in England, Mongolia, Nebraska, wherever).

In January, I wrote about the same thing (being touristy) after an evensong at Christ Church in Oxford:

During the service I thought about all the people who had sung the same words in the same building for hundreds of years.  I always wondered if "standing in the same place as such-and-such was x years ago" was  really as special as tourists say.  Actually, it was -- but not because it was ancient or traditional.  It was because the words I was singing to God were true, and I believed them, and other people whom I don't even know had also sung them to the same God and believed them.  (Wow.)

That was worth it for my sake.  Now I have another reason:  My kids.  Being touristy (in the right way) holds promise for good, not just for me, but for all my students and students-to-be.

No comments:

Post a Comment