May 1, 2014

names

Mailed these off this week:



Wedding invites.

As I was sitting on my bed and writing out names and addresses, I was blessed.  Many, many individuals from all parts of my life - professors, roommates, aunts, grandparents, Sunday school teachers, running buddies, mentors - these people have all shaped who I have become.  Or I could say that I am little pieces of all of them.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; 
It tolls for thee.

John Donne

It was a delight to write their names and remember them in prayer as I did so.  Likewise, it is an honor to invite them to be part of this upcoming event, to symbolically continue to be part of who I am becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment