Apr 27, 2014

gum

This morning I sang on worship team in church.

I was talking with a little friend of mine when I realized I was supposed to be on stage for the first song, so I ran up pretty fast.  As the leader began good-morning remarks, I realized: "UH-oh I still have gum in my mouth."

I am not sure quite how, but somehow the gum transferred successfully from my mouth to my hand.  The next part is what I remember as painfully distressing.  The small white blob became enormously conspicuous.  I cupped it in my palm against the microphone.  That worked because it was still slick and smooth.  However, I knew it would become increasingly dry and sticky with each song.    I switched it from microphone-hand to non-microphone-hand several times to try to find the best holding position.  With each transfer it became noticeable stringier.  By the end of the set I was certain it would be disastrous.  I stared at the music stand thirty inches away.  Maybe I could somehow tuck it onto the ledge of the stand.  The worship team would be able to see it, but nobody else would.  I leaned in toward the stand several times but each time my hand jerked back.  Finally I worked up the nerve and flashed my hand over the stand.  The hand surreptitiously returned to the the microphone.  I stared at the little white ball sitting on the black ledge.  I was free.

Needless to say it was an intense thirty seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment