Jun 19, 2014

fourteen

Rockies to Los Angeles this morning.


In the Los Angeles airport right now -- 8 hours down, only 6 more to go.  That's 14 hours in the airport, prep for the 14-hour flight to Beijing for our first layover.

Saw a union strike over minimum wage around lunchtime:  Several dozen people armed with whistles and even drums, with equivalent police to match.  I was busy texting on my phone typical-teenager style and barely got out of the way before they marched past.

Today's job:  Shepherd eighteen college students through Air China ticketing and security to our 1:40 a.m. flight.  Seventeen are here so far!  I lost solidly at Egyptian Rat Race and a 90's-themed guessing game (a band called Smashing Pumpkins?  never heard of it).  I handed out mints and they laughed (I think they thought it was a teacher-thing to do).  I have all their names down pat.

The best part is that one of the team members brought this:


No, really, the best part is that they are fun and friendly folk and I am really looking forward to the next six weeks with them.  But the ukulele was a definite boost.  I will be proficient by the end of summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment