Apr 30, 2013

a glen for a hermit

Glendalough ("glen of two lakes"), in the Wicklow Mountains of Ireland.  A fellow called St. Keven decided to camp out here in the 600s.  In keeping with the hermit theme, I made a day of it at the lakes by myself.

(This is the upper lake.  Interestingly, it is quite smaller than it looks.)


Some monastic ruins still remain.  (No thanks to the English, who raided them a few centuries later.)


Kevin picked a good campsite.


If you wade through thick trees, eventually you get to the top -- a quite good view.


(I sang, "The hills are alive...")


Breezier than the bottom, perhaps.


It made me think of the lyrics to "How Great Thou Art":

When through the woods and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze:

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee,
How great thou art, how great thou art!


No comments:

Post a Comment