Apr 17, 2013

needly rocks and other isle intrigues


On the western tip of the Isle of Wight are some crags called the Needles.  They look rather blunt for needles, but here they are, nonetheless, shrouded in a mysterious fog:



The way down to the Needles:



The deserted Needles shore:


We trekked over half the isle today and yesterday via bus and foot.

Buses are good for overhearing things.
While I was waiting for one of them, the lady next to me suddenly remarked – staring contemplatively at nothing – “Pigs are closest to humans, I think.”  This surprised me because she looked perfectly normal.   I twitched an eyebrow in agreement and companionably stared at nothing.

On another bus some scruffy middle-school boys lounged at the front.  Impressively, they were discussing grammar:
“What’s the past tense of brake?  Is it braked or broke?”
“I think if it’s coming from you, it’s braked.
“I braked my bike – no, that doesn’t sound right...”
Soon the conversation rabbit-trailed to the cramped bus seats.  “Nothing’s made the right size for a man.”

More photos:

On the Yarmouth pier:


“The hills are alive” – wayside field on the footpath to Fishbourne


All Saints Church in Ryde


(we stopped and wrote English-major stuff in our journals)



No comments:

Post a Comment