Nov 23, 2013

$5.00 and Peanut M&M's

November tidbits from high-school student-teaching:

Going to my high-schoolers' volleyball game:
I march up to to the gym door to get my ticket and am told it costs $5.00.  What?  It costs money to go to games??  Why yes, this is my first volleyball game ever.  No, I have no cash with me whatsoever.  Yes, I am a college student.  I dig out my cell phone and call Dad:  "Daddy, can you pleeaase come bring me some money?"  (He did.  Thank you, Dad.)

Helping a student with homework -- with Algebra homework:
At first I say, "Oh -- math?  Don't ask me."  Then, "Wait a minute, I think I can do that."  Yep.  I could.  I couldn't wait to go home and tell Mom.

Naming the students in my class to prove I learned them all:
I like to make the most out of my connections.  To one student I say, "Do you remember taking piano lessons together way back like ten years ago?"  To another:  "I found out your dad's favorite candy is peanut-butter M&M's.  Or was it just plain peanut M&M's?"  (He shrugs, shifts.)  Poor guys.  They just became the coolest kids in class.

Going back to visit fifth grade for my birthday:
I tell the kids, "I really like high school, but there's something about fifth grade..."  Student:  "Fifth grade is GOODER!"  (Mrs. D groans...)

No comments:

Post a Comment