Nov 4, 2013

And do NOT say STUFF.

The other day Miss G. was handing back essays.  "Sophomores, please define the word stuff."

Silence.  A cricket chirped somewhere.

"Then please eliminate it from your vocabulary.  'Johnny went to learn about life 'n' stuff.'  NO."

Also, one time she was lecturing on a short story.  One of the characters in the story was being moody.  Miss G. stopped and remarked:  "I get along better with males than females.  Uuuuhh -- Females!  You have a mercurial gene in your bodies I think.  Guys don't get so worked up about things."  (This does seem fair in high school.)

So far in high school I have been mostly watching.  I have been trying to learn all the 90-plus names of my students in my six different class periods.  I sit in my back-row desk with my seating chart and stare at the backs of their heads and practice.  Sometimes they glance back and we make eye contact accidentally.  I wonder if they think I'm creepy.  Then when I see them face-to-face in the hall I don't recognize them because I know the backs of their heads better than the fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment