Nov 15, 2013

Question 1: A, B, or C?

This week I have been grading dozens of senior paragraph-essays on The Iliad.  I was up till an unnamed hour trying to get them done (on a week night - unforgivable).  My dreams were a mumbled blur of AchillesdraggedHector'sdeadbodyfor9daysbutHectorshouldn'thavefoughtforParisinthefirstplacebecausePariswasawimp!andhedidn'tneedHelenanyway.IwouldratherhavemykidsturnoutlikeHectorbutAchillesisstillprettysweet.

When I finished the last one, I blearily cracked open my Bible for 30 seconds before turning out the lamp.  Ecclesiastes 12:12-13:   "Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the flesh.  The end of the matter; all has been heard."

Multiple-choice tests begin to radiate new beauty as I become acutely aware of the correlation between them and sleep.

[To clarify:  I was proud of my seniors.  I liked reading what they wrote.]

Oh, and I'm still eating my Brussels-sprouts lunches.  Even though I now eat in the teachers' lounge they still generate questions:  "What are those things, anyway?"

Also, I need to eat bigger breakfasts.  More than once this week I have been making my rounds among the desks when my stomach has growled.  It's all the worse because it happens in dead silence when they're taking a quiz or something.  (Imagine it:  You're listing adjectives when your teacher's stomach growls right in your ear.  Just thinking about it is awkward.)

Anyway:

The end of the matter; all has been heard:  It's Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the joy of being an English teacher! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your comments, Mrs. De Jong -- I'm happy you're reading, and it's good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete