Apr 18, 2014

galumphing rhythms

Boston Symphony Orchestra:

(An edge-of-your-seat experience.  Vaughan Williams's sixth symphony.  I like the dramatic descriptions in concert programs.  This one - "its forceful energy, its sense of menace, and the desolation of the final pages."  People thought it reflected the tumultuous post-WWII time it was composed in, but it didn't.  Williams was just that way.)

For fun try an out-loud dramatic reading:

"The first movement opens in unmistakable conflict with its violent clash of adjacent minor keys:  F minor hammered out in the opening three notes, then E minor thrust in beneath it, like a dagger to the stomach.  These warring neighbors make appearances throughout the movement in different disguises.  But lest anyone should think the symphony offers no glimmer of joy, no light in a darkened world, the work's lighter moments should not be overlooked.  A galumphing rhythm has its humorous side..."


The performance did it justice (the words, and the hall).

That's the last of three days in Boston spread out over several weeks' posts.  I went not for fun but for a literature conference (which was fun too, actually).  The highlight - a Harvard professor lecturing on why vampires (e.g. Twilight) are so popular today.  As the photos evidence, my professor graciously made the trip much more than a conference.  The Atlantic and the symphony were my favorites.

Next week in Kentucky at a back-to-back conference:


Here I spoke on two things:  "Do Professors Grade International Students Differently?" and "Poetry for the Average Joe."  I valiantly tried to convince my listeners that everyone should make a habit of reading and writing poetry (yes, you).  I don't think I persuaded my fellow Dordt comrades to write their own, but they must have been persuaded that I do.  Every time I was writing anything on the 16-hour ride home (a letter to Granny, edits on friend's story), someone asked, "Oh hey, are you writing poetry?"  Every time I had to say guiltily, "Um, no, not this time."


No comments:

Post a Comment