Jan 6, 2013

Mushy Peas and Turnip Broth

I figured that English food would be relatively similar to American.  I'm learning, however, that they are good at coming  up with creative twists to mundane foods.  For instance, on one menu I noticed: "Mushy Peas," and, "Turnip Broth."  Sounds scrumptious, doesn't it?  (Mom, we should try this strategy at home.)

This post isn't actually about food.  It's about the Vines, where I'm living, because that's what I have pictures of.

First:  You have to get through this gate to get in.  I don't remember living in a gated place before; thus I feel very safe.  (We have discovered, though, that the fence is easily hopped, thus making us feel less safe.  This is overall a good discovery because I have trouble making the keys work to let myself in or out.)



And this is the view once you get in (over/under) the gate:


The view from my desk is beautiful, but this is the best my camera can do:


This is closer to what it looks like:


Neither picture does it justice.  The sun is shining at the moment (noteworthy!) so it's even prettier than usual.

When I first walked into my room, I said, "Oh -- we even have our own balcony!"  This is the door out onto the balcony, right next to my desk:


Before stepping out onto the balcony, however, I noticed a sign above the door:


A good time to follow the rules, perhaps?

But we keep the window open much of the time and often hear college bells, especially in the evenings.  I commented on them admiringly to Paul.  (He and his wife Lexi are our Junior Deans.)  He rolled his eyes and said dryly, "Oh yes, all colleges used to play them at curfew, so you'll keep hearing different ones at different times, like for a whole hour.  Lexi hates it."  (I thought his comment was funny.  Paul and Lexi are really very nice people.)


I'm thrilled to be here for four months.  The place and the people are lovely, and May already seems like it's coming too fast.  "Truly, the lines have fallen for me in pleasant places."



2 comments: