Jan 29, 2013

Strop & Squash

strop:  temper tantrum, sulk, mood

I learned this British term on Sunday in church.  I was confused because the energetic lady up front kept using this word.  (She was telling the story about King Ahab and Naboth's vineyard to the children.)   "King Ahab was in the most terrible strop," "King Ahab threw such a dreadful strop that he buried his head in his pillow," etc.  I deduced that strop must mean something like tantrum, a definition I confirmed via Urban Dictionary Online when I got home.

So far I have not had much trouble picking up British accents, but during the sermon I did look up suddenly when the pastor said, "And then Pizza denied Christ."  (Oh -- he said Peter, not pizza.)

After the service a friendly lady introduced me to her young son: "And this is my son Sohm."

"Pardon?"

"S-oh-m."

Puzzled face.

"S-A-M."

"Oh, S-a-m!" (this with my crisp Wis-can-sin pronunciation)

She smirked visibly, then caught herself, and apologized.

I was affable.  "It's all right.  Even the other Americans I'm staying with make fun of my accent."  I attempted the British version of Sam but she just laughed outright.

I couldn't help grinning whenever we sang a hard a in the songs, especially when they were American songs I knew.  "He has r-aw-nsomed me," etc.  What a delight to sing familiar songs and fellowship with these kindhearted people.

I noticed this friendly invite in the bulletin:  "Tea/coffee/squash are served in the lounge after each morning service."  Squash?  I envisioned orange mush in little paper bowls.  Katie clarified:  "No, not squash like pumpkin.  It's a really strong fruit concentrate.  You have to mix it water or it'll hurt your throat.  Katina almost drank it straight by accident last week."



I was curious about this strange and dangerous fruit drink but unfortunately it was gone by the time I made my way to the counter.  Next week, then.

3 comments:

  1. Daniel Hipps would try the squash plain just so he could say he'd done it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny about the accents! I can just imagine you trying to figure out "Sam." That could definitely happen to me; I have a harder time understanding accents than you have. :-) And the squash sounds interesting. I never would have thought it could describe a fruit drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will probably come home with a new accent !! Love the S-A-M story! Of course we all know that Nebraskans have no accent. That is why years ago when you would call the time and temperature number to listen to the the sweet recorded lady on the other end say how cold it was, you could always understand her.... because she was from the plains states! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete