Aug 26, 2013

cold showers and logic

More from the fifth-grade classroom:

Incident #1:  Cold showers

I was telling my students about Mongolia. I told them how the running water broke at camp, so we had to go down to the river to take baths instead.  I confided that I have been taking cold showers every morning since then - on purpose - because I just like them better now instead of hot.  (This is true.)  They thought that was really strange.  (Understandably.  I don't understand it either.)

This morning one of the girls comes up to me and says, "Guess what, Ms. Eckstrom?  I took a cold shower last night."

Me:  "What? You did??"

"Yeah."  [pained look]  "It was coooold!"

(And she wasn't the only one who tried it, I found out.)  Will this come up at parent-teacher conferences?

Incident #2:  Logic

New vocab word:  logic.  Mrs. D told the students to think up examples.

Fifth-grader [matter-of-factly]:  "It is logic when you go out the door in the morning, and all the neighbors are staring at you, and then you realize, 'Oh, duh!  I forgot to put my pants on.'"

In the back of the room, I blink.  Mrs. D pauses for just a second, then says brightly,  "Yeah, don't you hate it when that happens?"

No comments:

Post a Comment