Aug 21, 2013

the slow-going South

This weekend I took my sister down to Oklahoma to start her freshman year of college.


We went to Walmart to stock up on folders, notebooks, binders, etc.  We got in line behind an older mustached, full-bellied man.  He turned around and drawled out slowly, "Would you like ta git ahead a' me?  Ya only got a few things and I ain't in a hurry."

"Uh, wow -- really?  Um, actually, that would be really nice!"  (Only because we were running late.)

Then the tiny white-haired lady next in line asked us if we wanted to go ahead of her too.

I couldn't help asking, "Is everybody in Oklahoma this nice?"

The mustached man chuckled.  "Waaaay-ll, most of us are.  We gen'rilly try to treat uh-thur people th' way we like to be treated."

No comments:

Post a Comment