Oct 12, 2013

Fifth-Graders, Farewell

Yesterday was my last day in fifth grade.  Next week I start high school.  (Quite a jump, Dad says happily: You finally got past fifth grade.)   Nonetheless I will miss my students.  High-schoolers don't say things like this:

#1
Social studies lecture on economics, a PowerPoint slide on credit cards comes up.
Student:  "Are credit cards evil?"

#2
Student at the lunch table, to my face:  "When Miss Eckstrom laughs, her shoulders go up and down.  It's funny."

#3
Student runs up to me:  "Mommy!  -- I mean -- oops!" [claps hand over her mouth]

#4
I'm talking about the English Channel in social studies.  Student:  "Would that be channel 39?"  (I lost it.)

#5
Student:  "Are you wearing those weird leg things that make your skin look darker?
Me:  "You mean nylons?"
Student [bends down and plucks at my ankle]:  "Oh.  My grandma wears those.  At least she used to."
Me [thinking]:  Wow.  I'm behind your grandmother's time.

1 comment:

  1. I am falling in love with those fifth graders and their comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete